Biopsy: Surgical Removal of Body Tissue to Assess Disease
A medical test to assess disease in body
Biopsy is a slightly complex test to assess the disease by studying the tissue and cells surgically removed from body. It is generally performed by experts, surgeons, interventional radiologists. Removed body cells are sent for pathological examination and results are analyzed and assessed to draw conclusions. Biopsy: Surgical Removal of Body Tissue to Assess Disease is commonly performed in assessing certain complex diseases as Carcinomas.
Biopsy are ordered by a doctor when there is occurrence of abnormal cells or tissues, in the ultrasound or radiological tests of body parts. To assess the nature of these abnormal cells from the normal ones Biopsy is ordered and performed.
Biopsy is a medical test in which certain part of tissue and cells are surgically removed from the body and sent for microscopic examinations in pathology section of medical facility. This abnormal area of cells are called lesion, mass or tumor (Benign or malignant).
It is a minor surgery, with pain involved though careful and trained hands of surgeons and interventional medicine radiologists make it simple and worthwhile.
Type of Biopsy
There are different types of Biopsy performed depending upon the organ and type and amount of tissue required for study. In general following tpes are most common:
- Endoscopic Biopsy: Procedure is used to check on stomach cancers.
- Endometrial Biopsy: Considered uncomfortable though not painful.
- Incision Biopsy: Cut or incision is made in skin to take out tissue of lump or abnormal area of suspicious growth.
- Excision Biopsy: Performed by surgeon to take out the abnormal tissue and some surrounding cells to avoid any reoccurrence of the abnormal growth.
- Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy (FNAC): Very fine hollow needle is inserted in suspicious growth area to take out sample tissue to be examined in laboratory.
Depending upon the organ size and amount of tissue required there are following types of Biopsy required: